Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Adjustment Disorder

I recently moved some new apartments. I have returned home to Mississippi after being away for a number of years. I moved to these apartments, sight unseen, because they are near my daughter's house. Big mistake

(Disclaimer here for those of you out there who upon discovering I have moved to Mississippi are immediately thinking red neck, white trash. While there are, of course, white trash people here and red necks, it is no more so here than in any other state. I could go on but it would be pointless, because I know, I KNOW YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME)

My daughter lives in a nice part of town. A new part of the Jackson metro area that is being developed. Unfortunately, my apartment complex is part of the old development not the new. It is basically a bricked up trailor park.

I walked outside the other day and across the way, I see a skateboard ramp on the side walk. Nothing unusual about that right? I am not a real observant person, ordinarily I would not have even noticed a skateboard on a sidewalk. The thing that caught my attention was the people surrounding the skateboard ramp. There was a kid about a hundred feet down the sidewalk, building speed, heading towards the ramp. There was a little girl about 6 years old lying directly in front of the ramp, her head right under the where the skateboarder was expected to ramp. And there was this LADY (use this loosely) standing right at the expected point of impact, just watching. Apparently she was a part of the whole skateboard - ramp event. I saw the kid speeding towards the prone child and I yelled "NOOOOO" at the top of my lungs. The speeding kid stopped, other Mom's in the area stuck their heads out and yelled at their kids and the LADY that was participating in the potential disaster, slunk off.
Oh, and the lady who lives directly across the parking lot from me? She sends her four year old little boy to my porch to steal cigarette butts. Nice, huh?
That is an example of some of the people that live in my apartment building.

I live in constant fear that they will discern that I think they are trash. That discernment could result in damage to my vehicle, apartment, whatever. I am trying to conceal my distaste and not be such a snob.

But it is not really my fellow apartment dwellers that are bothering me today. I am just in a foul mood altogether. I hate to move, switch jobs etc. and I have done all in the last 60 days. I am having an ADJUSTMENT DISORDER. If you are not familiar with the term adjustment disorder, it is a psychiatric/mental health term used to describe a person having problems with life changes. It is also used whenever they don't really know what is wrong with someone, or when the diagnosis is one that the insurance companies might not cover. (I used to work in a counseling office) I am adjusting and if my adjustment does not go smoothly it will develop into a disorder.

Have you ever had a problem adjusting? adjusting? adjusting?
have you ever had a problem adjusting
when you walk outside
your back door

Has everything ever changed? all at once? all the same?
Has everything ever changed seemed strained

Have you ever had a problem adjusting? adjusting? adjusting?
Have you ever had a problem adjusting
to the people you adore

My 19 year old daughter read this post. (she is my editor and chief critic) After the reading, she announced that I am and always have been grouchy, irritable and just plain weird. (she hated the little tacked on poem by the way) In light of this newly relayed information, maybe I don't have and adjustment disorder but a full blown PERSONALITY DISORDER. And for family members reading this post, please know that I am very happy to be back and I longed for you while I was away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi.. thanks for sharing informative..
___________________
Jessica
Get 28 movie channels for 3 months free