Wednesday, September 08, 2004

"Cow Girl"

If you read my story about the cat suffering from post-traumatic syndrome, I mentioned a recent relocation. I moved back to my home state of Mississippi from Arizona a few months ago. It was a planned move that I had been trying to get the guts up to do for about 2 years. Unable to obtain new employment long distance, I quit my great job, packed up the cat and drove across 3 states.

It's great to be back. I love the South, but now I have to find gainful employment. I am employed as a temp right now and the search for a permanent job is ongoing but I have ruled out at least one of my job ideas. When I first moved here, I was "brainstorming" job possibilities and one of the more interesting ones that occurred to me was to sell cars.

I see them in the news ads all the time. They offer a sign-on bonus to moral, honest, people, with no car selling experience who will sit in their training classes and become a car selling phenomenon. "I can do that!!!" I thought. I was all set to embark on a car salesperson career until I remembered the WHO commercials.

When I was growing up, some of the more irritating TV commercials were for car sales . The car salesperson would stand out in the car lot, point and talk about different cars in a rapid constricted speech. (Much like an auctioneer) At the end of this commercial the sales guy would suddenly cup his hands over his mouth and yell "WHOOOOOoooooo". These commercials irritated me endlessly and being a hypersensitive youth growing up in the south (with this paranoia that the entire world is laughing because they think we are horrible hicks) and having to suffer thru the horrible WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo call when visiting grandparents calling cows, these commercials made an impact on my young mind. (The whooooo noise is one farmer's make when calling the cows, there are different variations that send different messages, a secret cow language.)

After, remembering the horrible Who commercials, I can no longer seriously consider a career in auto sales. Every time I contemplate car sales as a serious job possibility, a vision pops in my head. The vision is me, in a commercial, dressed as a cow-girl, gushing car sales rhetoric then closing with the infamous WHOOOOOOOooooo sound. Not a flattering thought.


No, I think I will probably count pennies until I find a good job. Remember the ads for salespeople, the good honest people pitch. I don't know how honest or moral it would have been anyway to sign up for car sales classes for a bonus, and then maybe escape with cash in fist once it was established that I was an awful car salesperson and or hated the whole thing.

No comments: