Sunday, September 26, 2004

"The Vacation"

I was married to my ex-husband for 19 years. During this time he obtained 2 degrees, and often worked 2 jobs. I stayed home with the kids for a majority of this time.He was very responsible and was relatively uncomplaining. Things have changed since then.

He has lost 3 jobs in 5 years. The first job he had held for about 3 years. A nice management job with an good income. He wrecked the company truck while drunk. The second job, though not quite as desirable, was a "sort of" management job nonetheless. He lost that one for letting his drunk friends hang around. The last job, (a management job) well, I am not sure what happened there. But I have a few guesses and they all revolve around drinking.

I got a call a few weeks ago from my ex-husband. (he had been drinking of course) After beating around the bush for a moment. He told me "I need some money for a plane ticket to go back to Arizona and get my stuff out of storage, uh, I mean, I need some money for a plane ticket to Arizona so I won't be HOMELESS".
He then proceeded to tell me about how his girlfriend had kicked him out and this time it was for good and if I didn't get him the money that night, he would be homeless. "I am going to be homeless if I don't get the money tonight and I don't want to be homeless" he stated. I very calmly told him I could not get him any money at that exact moment and would have to wait to check my account to see what my financial situation was. I already knew I didn't have the money, but as usual, his panic being infectious and ALMOST believing him for a second, I wanted to check anyway.

The next day I had already decided I was not going to give him money or even acknowledge his phone call. He called and spoke to my daughter and apparently had received a REPRIEVE FROM HIS HOMELESS STATE. He was staying with his mom. He still wanted money. I did not call him back.

A few days later, I heard thru my sister that he had indeed gone back to Arizona. My sister had driven my son 3 hours to where he was staying for a tearful goodbye.

A couple of weeks later, my sister called worrying about him and why he hadn't called. My son lives with her (she is home-schooling him) and he was upset. I advised her to call his ex-girlfriend and see if she had heard from him. My sister called and sure enough, my ex had gone to Arizona for a week and come back. Yes, he's back and no he is not homeless. His girlfriend let him come back. (she always does)

He had hit various people up for money even his ex-wife and her family members. Someone apparently had given it to him. Remember, he was going to be HOMELESS.

I have been thinking about it. When he called asking for money, he was asking for enough for a round trip ticket. Why did he need a round trip ticket if he wasn't coming back? My theory?

He went on vacation.

No comments: