Monday, January 24, 2005

"Drama is life with the dull bits cut out". Alfred Hitchcock

I've been accused of being dramatic and have always denied it vehemently. "Having a crisis does not a drama queen one make", I have exclaimed huffily. I have been thinking of how I have a tendency to draaaaaaaawwwww out calamity. And cling to the anxious feeling almost lovingly. I have had a few crisis's these past few weeks. The sickness drama has been one crisis, there have been others.

My family has been having colds and stomach viruses for about 2 months now. Both my grandchildren have had colds. I decided to teach my 18 month old grand-daughter the proper way to act when sick. I demonstrated for her by reclining on the couch, with arm upraised and flopped backwards limp wristed over my head. I made moaning noises to complete the picture. When I left her house she was lying in the appropriate stance on the couch, arm flung backwards over her head amidst pillows, with sippy cup and blanket in tow. I was quite proud.
I later called my daughter, trying to be helpful and suggested that my grand-daughters cheeks were pink because she was allergic to her medication. They mentioned later talking to the Dr so I know they probably made a frantic phone call. (I did not mean to incite panic)

My other daughter has 2 month old. He has also had a cold and may already have the drama thing down pat. He is better now but one day he was laying on my daughter moaning. Little baby moans. Scary. Then when he developed a cough with the cold and started wheezing the next day. My daughter called me in a panic. I could hear him in the background making what I swear sounded like asthmatic wheezes.

Both daughters rushed to the Drs office sure they would be re-directed to the ER. When they were shown to a room and he was laid upon the examining table. He began to happily kick his legs and coo. No wheezes to be found. So happy was he, the Dr suggested he didn't even need his cold medicine.

Medicine free, he developed laryngitis the next night. Not croup mind you like most babies, laryngitis. Sounded just like an adult squeeking because he can't talk. This new development resulted in one of an already many by this time, frantic calls to the on-call Dr.

We have a new vaporizer and new cough medicine and things are fine now. Oh, but with the colds going away, my daughter is scheduled for outpatient surgery in a few days.......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi.. thanks for sharing the informative..
___________________
Jessica
Get 28 movie channels for 3 months free