Monday, January 03, 2005

In Memory - My Mother

Things my Mother taught me (excuse my fingers, they are tongue tied)

1. My mother taught me to love beauty. She gave me art lessons at a young age.

2. She showed me how to calm a fussy baby, entertain a bored toddler with homemade playdough and a multitude of other things.

3. By not doing everything for me, she showed me I could be strong.

4. After my paternal grandmother died, she moved my grandfather in their house rather than putting him in a nursing home. (he died a few days later) She also moved her mother in the house when she became to ill to care for herself. She taught me courage (I am not there yet)

5. My mother would comment on current events, she would compare the latest fad thought with the trends of yesterday. Her wisdom was invaluable. She taught me not to believe everything I hear and read. (Question everything, in a good way)

6. When my children were born, she encouraged me to stay home with them as long as possible.

7. She was very sick her last 3 years of life. She suffered with dignity. She showed great strength of character and died with grace.

8. She loved to read and took us to the library often. I inherited her book-worm-ism.

I could go on and on. My mother and I did not allways see eye to eye. As an adolescent we were adversaries at times. When I became an adult my mother became my best friend. She taught me love.

On January 3, 2001, at age 65, my mother died at home, surrounded by her family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi.. thanks for sharing the informative..
___________________
Jessica
Get 28 movie channels for 3 months free