Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Fried Green Tomatoes and Steel Magnolias

Two of my favorite movies of all time are about strong women in the South. The movies? "Fried Green Tomatoes", and "Steel Magnolias", both released in the late 80's. Comedic dramas about women overcoming adversity, survival, and being a strong person.

A Steel Tomato I am not. I resemble a wilted daisey and had never even tried fried green tomatoes until after I saw the movie. I am not very good at being a Southern woman and do not pick up well on the subtle unspoken social inuendo's. I think that is why I was a little relieved when I moved away from the South. I did not feel like such a failure.

I am back now and struggling again with being "a steel magnolia". Sigh. I am afraid time has not enhanced my Southern skills. But being back in the South has it's wonderful points. The best part is I am once again with my family and my children now have us all in the same region.

I shall accentuate the positives. Since I have been back.....

1. I have lost 15 pounds and am once again my normal weight. (the move was very traumatic, I already needed to lose 7 pounds and I gained more weight right before the move. I kept saying to myself, moving does not make you fat....moving does not make you fat)

2. I have finally landed a decent job (today as a matter-of-fact after 8 loooooong months of temping) which promises to be the best job I have ever had, even better than the one I had in Arizona.

3. I have finally (knock on wood) made a serious decision to quit smoking. I will keep you posted.

4. I am in the same general area as my family, extended and otherwise. I live in the same town as both my grandchildren.

5. I feel better about myself because as weak as my bravery skills are(Daiseys Getting Wilted!!!!), I had the courage to move back and start over. I took a chance and did not choose the easy path.

6. I no longer have to sit around and sing tragically to myself, songs about the South.

7. I am a Cowgirl.....again.

No comments: