Monday, March 21, 2005

Stormy Weather

It is supposed to storm here after midnight. I could be severe. I hate bad weather. One of the things I liked about living in Arizona was that you really did not have to worry about bad weather. Sure it rained from time to time, and we had really spectacular dirt storms, but it was nothing to really worry about. (unless you had a really bad dirt storm that obscured vision while driving, a rare event in Phoenix)

I lived in TX for about 8 years, most of the time in Dallas. For a year of that time we were in a tiny town north of Dallas. While there, a tornado came thru and killed 4 people right down the road over the railroad tracks from our house. The sky turned a pale pea green and it was raining so hard you could not see anything. The only clue that anything was amiss at my house was the state of the sky and a fantastic boom of thunder. That was it.

While in living in North Carolina, in a town outside of Raleigh, a tornado hit while I was driving home from work. They issued a severe thunderstorm warning when I was almost home. I could see the weather was ugly but opted for trying to make it to the house. I ended up having to pull over to the side of the road as small tree limbs blew past my car. Once I got home, I learned they had issued a tornado warning and a big rig was flipped on the highway not too far away.

While I was living away from Mississippi, my home town was hit by 2 tornados that killed 6 people. It was out in the country and the storms left a huge path.

I could go on. When we moved from TX we lived back in MS for a year before moving to NC. During that time, a huge tornado struck about 15 minutes from us and killed 4 or 5 people.

I hate bad weather. My mother would stand in the open doorway during extremely bad weather and say Shhhhhh! What's that sound?
I don't blame her for my phobia. It has lessened in time. When I was a young adult I would have debilitating panic attacks at times of bad weather. (Once in a El Nino year or the other one that comes after that, Las something, we had 14 tornado warnings in our county, none of which touched down) As I had my children, I realized I could not scare them to death. And my mother was only listening to see if we needed to get in a closet or something. My children have been in closets too and I have been known to look outside when severe weather hits.....I do try really hard not to say Shhhhh!!! whats that sound.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow.. wonderful blog..
Thanks for sharing information with us..
___________________
Jessica
Get 28 movie channels for 3 months free